With all the snow and the freezing cold weather I think it’s safe to say that it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas! And what better time than the festive season to get out your camera and getting some snaps of your little ones. After all, it comes but once a year and if there’s a time when happy faces are pretty much guaranteed then it’s when the prospect of Santa and presents is on the horizon!
So here are my top tips as a London family photographer for getting the best images this Yuletide.
1. Don’t wait until Christmas Day! There are oodles of opportunities to get some festive shots where the children are engrossed whether it be crafts, baking, making Christmas cards, dressing the tree.
2. Let it snow! Opportunities aplenty at the moment for cute images of snowman and snowball fights all wrapped up in cosy knits and woollen mitts.
3. Christmas morning. Depending on how old your children are and whether they still believe in the big man, chances are you’ll be up in the early hours to see if he’s been. That means photographing them in near darkness and artificial lights. If you’re handy with a camera, expose for the ambient twinkling lights and faces and use a wide aperture and a fast shutter speed. Flash can kill the atmosphere in an image but add a touch if you’re feeling confident.
4. Present opening. There’s nothing better than the excited and joyful faces of children opening presents. Concentrate on capturing their expressions rather than the gifts themselves – a hint of wrapping paper is all you need to set the scene.
5. Playtime! Get down low to catch the children playing with their new toys. Preferably still in PJs for the true Christmas spirit!